Sweet Baby Berlyn

Sweet Baby Berlyn

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Leap Day Baby!

My due date of February 22 came and passed. At my 40 week appointment I was only dilated one centimeter. My doctor wanted to induce me, so the following Wednesday morning, that's what we did.

We arrived at the hospital early Wednesday morning to begin the induction process. However, as soon as we got there my contractions were happening every 3-5 minutes. We started to gain a little hope that maybe I wouldn't need to be induced at all. The nurse would periodically check my status and, under the provision of the doctor, finally made the decision to start me on Cervidil. This drug would hopefully begin to 'ripen' my cervix and get things going.

After having the Cervidil in for a couple hours, the nurse decided to remove it because the baby's heartbeat would drop with every contraction. The doctor said this was something very common with babies that have the cord wrapped around their necks in utero. She told me she strongly suggested performing a cesarean section and, wanting to keep the baby safe, my husband and I agreed.

To ease my pain while we waited for the time to go into the operating room, the doctor started up my epidural. Up until this point, I was in the worst pain of my life, but after receiving the epidural it was a party! I was able to have conversations, focus on my progression, and actually enjoy this time. About 3 hours after I had gotten the epidural, I was at 10 centimeters and ready to start pushing. The doctor told me I wouldn't end up needing a c-section after all!  I suddenly got very excited, nervous, and scared! And after about 10 minutes she was out and in my arms!

This day was the MOST exciting and beautiful day of my life. Little Berlyn was born on February 29, 2012 at 2:23 pm. She weighed 8 pounds, 5 ounces, and had beautiful blue eyes and light brown hair. Staring at her was the only thing we wanted to do! We had our families there to welcome her also, and they were just as excited as we were. Sweet Berlyn was already loved so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment